Thanks to photographer Lana Trussell for permission to post her beautiful photos of the Stoney Point one-room school at the Harn Homestead historic site in Oklahoma City.
According to her Flickr.com site, the sign outside the school reads as follows:
Education was a primary concern of the new Oklahomans and within six weeks of the land run, Oklahoma City boasted a school house. School buildings also served as churches, social centers, and polling places.
Stoney Point School was built in 1897 and located near present day Rose Hill Township. This "three window," one-room schoolhouse closed its doors to the last classes of all eight grades on July 16, 1947. The actual chalkboard, which was made of mud, plaster, and horse hair, can be seen in the schoolhouse today. The Stoney Point School was relocated to the Harn Homestead in 1987.